Tuesday, November 13, 2007

A grump and a scare

i've been such a grump these days and i have no idea why. my tolerance level seems much lower with the kids and i find myself being less patient. i often tell Phil, i used to be such an easy-going person - what happened to me?

here is an example of why perhaps i've lost that easy-going self. our car broke down over the weekend and we borrowed a friend's car. this morning, i was returning home with the girls from ballet/kindermusik class with a brief stop at the store. Claire was playing with a small carton of yogurt and of course i hadn't thought that she would actually bite through the top. and of course she throws the carton down and Skye is telling me, mama, the yogurt's spilling out. onto our friend's immaculate seat. once i pull into our driveway, i get out of the car, run over to Claire's side to wipe up the mess. except the car door is locked. i run back to the driver's side but the door has locked somehow! and yes, the keys were still inside. i'm starting to panic. i'm yelling at Skye to go to the front of the car and press the unlock button. she tries several other buttons before finally locating the right one. in those few minutes, i can feel my hands starting to sweat and my heart thumping. fortunately for me, Skye is old enough to unlock the car. Phil reminded me how fortunate it was that it wasn't just me and Claire!! i can't even think about that without panic level rising.

i'd like to think that i'm a mum that takes advantage of every waking moment to enjoy my family, but to be honest, lately, i haven't been. i guess what i'm trying to say is that sometimes i'm so torn up between wanting to be selfish and then feeling awful for feeling that way, i end up being a grump.

No comments: