Friday, April 4, 2008

Visit to the dentist

earlier in the week, i had one of my twice-a-year check-ups at the dentist. usually, Phil is able to watch the kids, or at least Claire while i would take Skye who loves to watch my teeth being cleaned. but not this time. i had both girls with me and i was a little nervous about that. i imagined Claire getting into all those sharp tools and making a mess. the hygenist sort of raised her eyebrows at me, but being an older woman who just married off her first child, she took it all in stride. she usually pulls out a box of crayons for Skye and puts down a blanket on the floor for Skye to sit on. so she did that for both girls this time. and of course, Claire was an absolute angel. she coloured with Skye, but watched me getting my teeth cleaned for most of the time. and while she rarely does this at home, she decided to draw on the wall. that was the only "accident" at the dentist's office. i was so relieved!

Skye never babbled - she was always rather precise about her words. but now, we have the pleasure of listening to Claire babble. she loves to imitate the sounds we make and i guess our cadences. i think i'm also confusing her a bit by speaking both Korean and English AND teaching her some signs. i find she communicates a lot in movement. for example, for music, Skye used to say "CD", but Claire does this little dance movement with her upper body. well, at least she understands that there's more to communication than just words. :)

1 comment:

ErinOrtlund said...

Wow! Very brave. I always assumed I'd have to leave the kids with Eric when I go to the dentist. But hmmm...maybe Kate could at least come with me.