Thursday, June 7, 2007

Drain hole

i was wondering the other day why i feel so brain dead at the end of the day. i mean, really, what does my brain do all day that it's fried by the time all the kids have gone to bed? i don't solve incredibly difficult math problems nor do i crank out even a page of a novel, so why is my brain so tired? i had more energy at the end of a long work day than i do now. i know, i know, enough complaining, right?

but i discovered the source of my problem, or should i say the drain hole through which all my brain power is pouring out. Skye's incessant questions. i realized i spend most of the day trying to come up with creative answers to her never ending questions. for example, after reading Beatrix Potter's "Tale of Mrs. Tittlemouse" Skye asks, does a mouse eat cherries? (Mrs. Tittlemouse eats cherry stones) but a mouse eats cherry stones? do squirrels eat cherry stones? can i eat cherry stones? how can a mouse eat cherry stones? etc, etc. most days, i want to just scream, I DON'T KNOW! but then, what kind of a mother would i be? today, Skye wanted to know why not everyone wanted to be a doctor, so i tried patiently to explain what a strange world this would be if everyone was a doctor. yes, Skye plans to be a doctor when she grows up.

we met up with a friend of ours for a play date the other day. i mentioned to my friend that her third child who is almost 3 months old is beginning to look rather alert and she said, "yes, and i desperately wish he wasn't - he's yet another being that requires my attention!!"

Claire is most definitely past that stage. she screamed in the changing room at the pool today, so tired and in need of a nap. the life guard looked at us leaving and said, "not doing so great today," so i'm sure everyone at the pool heard. i think i would have felt a little embarrassed if Skye had done that as a baby, but not anymore!

Phil reminded me today that even though i get frustrated with my girls and even though they drain all my brain power, at the end of the day, i'm still thinking about them and writing about them in my blog.

1 comment:

ErinOrtlund said...

Isn't it amazing how much energy it takes to parent children? And to think, stay-at-home moms have that "sitting on the couch eating bon bons" reputation! Not so!

Hey, is that baby carrier a few posts back an Ergo? I'm thinking of getting one! You can email me at ekortlund@juno.com