Friday, June 20, 2008

Stolen Moments

we were leaving the pool today when i caught a glimpse of Skye's friend's mother stretched out next to the pool reading a novel. and for a moment, i felt totally envious, that her children are now old enough that she can check out at the pool and relax and enjoy herself. will i ever get there, where i can actually lay down and read a novel in the middle of the day? not that i don't want my kids - i do enjoy being their mother most of the time, but it has been so long since i did anything ordinary like reading a novel by the pool that seeing the other mother doing that stirred up some longing for such things.

2 comments:

ErinOrtlund said...

Oh I can relate! I wouldn't even bring my kids to the pool by myself at all. Then again, even if I had older kids, I might be a lot more paranoid than your friend with the novel!

I try to remind myself this is a season--but a part of me really longs for more time to myself and less need to be hyper vigilant about my kids.

SL Kim said...

yes, i try to remind myself that this is a passing season too, but when you're in the thick of it and life is just crazy busy all the time, you look at this other mother reading a book at the pool and think, wow, is that possible?