Friday, March 20, 2009

teenage years already???

that was the thought running through my mind today when one of Skye's friends came over for a playdate after school. the exact comment that triggered this thought was: "when you're done with whatever you're doing, i want some banana bread."

ok, maybe i'm PMSing, or maybe i just had a bad day, but i sort of raised my eyebrows and gave this little 7 year old girl a second look. i probably wouldn't have given it a thought if this girl had said this to her own mother, but i got the strange feeling this girl was feeling much too comfortable in my own house. perhaps it's my Korean upbringing, but heck, you never got away with talking to an adult like that when i was a kid!! and i think i have this idea in my head that under 10 yr olds are still "innocent" and still look up to adults.

i know, this is all nothing in the grand scheme of things. kids will grow up, no matter what, and kids will still need us parents no matter how old they are. but it's a little frightening to think that the teenage attitudes are already upon us.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Oh and it is your job to stop it! No really--I have respectfully corrected the behavior of some of my kids' friends. Hard but do-able. Things like "I can understand you better if you speak to me in a calm voice" or "I prefer it when people use words like I would like instead of I want when they are talking to me"

have fun